You can’t go past a glazed ham to get everyone into the festive spirit, and this one makes a stunning centerpiece for the Christmas table.
Ingredients (serves 30-40)
¼ cup honey
¼ cup maple syrup
⅓ cup brown sugar
1 tsp hot English mustard
1 tbsp orange juice
1 whole leg ham, on the bone (about 6kg)
½ cup whole cloves
1 jar pitted sour cherries
• Preheat oven to 180°C.
• In a small bowl, mix together honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, mustard and orange juice. Stir until sugar has dissolved, then set aside.
• Remove skin from ham by scoring around the hock and using thumbs to gently separate it from the layer of fat underneath.
• Place ham in a large oven tray lined with foil. Score the fat using a sharp knife to create a diamond pattern. Place a clove into the centre of each diamond (you may need to insert a skewer first to create a hole).
• Using a pastry brush, coat ham with half the glaze and cook for 1 hour, basting with glaze half way through, until ham is a dark golden colour.
• Serve with sour cherries.
Energy 1034kJ (246kcal)
Fat – total 11.6g / saturated 4.2g
Carbohydrate – total 7.2g / sugars 6.7g
Dietary fibre 3.3g
Recipe created for Highpoint by Skye Swaney, Dietitian.
"Make the most of leftover Christmas ham by turning it into a delicious and healthy summer salad. Toss thinly sliced ham with grilled peach slices, rocket and goats cheese and drizzle with caramelised balsamic vinegar" - Skye Swaney, Dietician.